Support a Marathon effort for Marie Curie!
My close friend Kai Widdeson will be running this year’s London Marathon with his Mum in aid of Marie Curie, who support all types of terminal illness both for sufferers and their loved ones across the country. Kai and his Mum are not only some of the best runners I know, but equally the kindest people imaginable. They have welcomed me many times into outings with them and truly never fail to bring a smile to those around them. I would be thrilled to see their fundraising reach its target (just £470 to go at time of writing!!) so please, if you can, give a small charitable donation to their just giving page:
Support Raising Voices to help prevent violence against women and children in Uganda
Raising Voices are a small Uganda-based charity that work to prevent violence against women and children through a programme of effective education and inspiration of activism in communities throughout Africa. They utilise modern educational science and a systematic process to analyse, plan and implement curriculums and programmes in schools that aim to not only prevent violence, but build a self-sustaining culture and movement in which education, critical thinking and the challenging of social injustice is not just encouraged, but deeply ingrained. They have an easy-to-use monthly donation scheme I highly recommend!
Innovative and results-driven Software Engineer with a Master's Degree in Computer Science from Durham University.
With over 2 years of hands-on experience at Amazon, I've led initiatives to overhaul and expand key features on Prime Video,
significantly enhancing user retention globally. Between employment and side projects, I have 6+ years of experience in a diverse tech stack,
including Java, AWS, Python, and more.
I've contributed to best-in-class research, with a publication in the 2023 IEEE European Symposium on Security and Privacy, expanding the literature in acoustic side channel attacks on keyboards and novel applications of Deep Learning. My projects, such as a Stock Headline Sentiment Accuracy Classifier and a Pegasus Image Generating DC-GAN, have both fostered an interest in, and showcased talent for, Machine Learning and Data Science.
I hold certifications in SQL for Data Science and have a track record of success in both individual and collaborative projects. Beyond my professional pursuits, I am a versatile individual with interests ranging from DJ-ing and fencing to obstacle course racing and public speaking.
- Location: London, UK
- Relocation: Possible
- Employment: SDE at Amazon (1.5 years)
- Email: email@example.com
Throughout my experience in tech, I have attained a number of skills at varying levels of proficiency. Please see below for an example of some of the technologies I have had the opportunity to use. This is a list I'm always excited and eager to add to!
Durham University, UK
2018 - 2022
MEng Computer Science
Weighted Average: 74% (1st Class with Honours)
Modules studied include:
- Recommender Systems
- Software Engineering
- Networks and Systems
- Natural Language Processing
- Virtual and Augmented reality
- Multimedia and Game Development
- Public Engagement in Computer Science
- Deep Learning and Reinforcement Learning
- Advanced Computer Graphics and Visualization
- Computer Vision & Advanced Computer Vision
- Computational Modelling in the Humanities and Social Sciences
Bishop Vesey's Grammar School
2016 - 2018
A-Levels: Computer Science, Mathematics & Physics
Grades: A*, A*, A respectively
Software Development Engineer
08/2022 - Present
- Retained over 504,000 subscriptions globally by overhauling and expanding the “Remind Me Later” feature on Prime Video
- Increased marketplace availability of retention initiatives by 100% through implementation of scalable Java classes
- Reduced team’s operational overhead by 49% by auditing AWS Cloudwatch Alarms using AWS CDK
- Managed in-house CI/CD pipelines featuring automated unit and integration testing
Risk, finance & treasury technology intern
06/2021 - 08/2021
- Automated cloud resource usage reporting using VBA, reducing budgeting time overhead by 90%
- Utilized Agile methodology to perform resource management and reallocation on an in-house Cloud Data Platform
Risk, finance & treasury technology intern
07/2020 - 08/2020
- Developed data quality checks for over 3,000,000+ records for reports to European Securities and Markets Authority
- Improved DevOps usage and project management by migrating team from JIRA to Rally.
Bar Staff, Gym Staff & Assistant Events Officer
11/2021 - 07/2022
South College, Durham University
- Worked within a diverse team to lead and support in-house events, create inclusive environments and regularly break bar revenue records while raising significant money for charity.
Young advisor & Youth lead champion
10/2015 - 06/2018
NHS & CYP-IAPT
- Assisted in re-centering the Derby University CBT training course to centre on the patient as an end customer.
- Presented at regional board meetings to update senior staff.
- Enforced quality service across hospitals in the midlands through audits, interviews and board meetings with NHS trusts.
07/2008 - 07/2016
TrEAD Stage School
- Performed within diverse casts to develop and perform musicals with professional west-end choreographers and directors.
- Acquired leading roles in venues across the country, most notably the Manchester Palace Theatre.
A Practical Deep Learning-Based Acoustic Side Channel Attack on Keyboards
As part of my MEng at Durham University (2018 - 2022), I performed an experiment in which I wanted to see if a deep learning (DL) model built for image recognition could apply it's state-of-the-art architecture to the relatively underexplored problem of keystroke acoustic classification. This paper went on to get some international attention...
Below are a few of my past projects both from personal interest and as part of my degree, keep checking back or follow my GitHub to see progress!
- Machine Learning
HTML/CSS, JS, MongoDB
Stock Headline Sentiment Accuracy Classifier
Python - SKLearn, Pandas, Requests
Restaurant Hybrid Recommender System
Python - SKLearn, Pandas, SciPy
Pegasus Image Generating GAN
Python - PyTorch
Just a Tool: Online Safety Course for Retired Persons
Python - PyTorch
Distributed Food Ordering System
Python - Pyro4